DDU-GKY was launched on 25 September 2014 by Union Ministers Nitin Gadkari and Venkaiah Naidu on the occasion of 98th birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya. The Vision of DDU-GKY is to:
"Transform rural poor youth into an economically independent and globally relevant workforce."
It aims to target youth, in the age group of 15–35 years. DDU-GKY is a part of the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM), tasked with the dual objectives of adding diversity to the incomes of rural poor families and cater to the career aspirations of rural youth. A corpus of Rs 1,500 crore is aimed at enhancing the employability of rural youth. Under this programme, disbursements would be made through a digital voucher directly into the student’s bank account as part of the government's skill development initiative.
- Registered under Indian Trust Act
- Any State Society Registration Act
- Any State Cooperative Societies
- The Companies Act 2013
- Multi State Cooperative Acts
- The Limited Liability Partnership Act 2008
- Government or semi government organization at the State and National Level
- Legal Entity more than 3 years old
- Positive Net Worth for at least 2 out of last 3 years
- Turnover in excess of at least 25% of the proposed project.
- 25,696.00 per candidate for a three-month non-residential Course & Food & Transportation Allowance @100Rs.
- 1,22,362.00 per candidate for a 12 months residential course & Free boarding & Lodging.